Sunday, December 13, 2015

Goodbye Holly Daze

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Joy Noel! Happy Hanukkah! -- Whatever your flavor is may you enjoy the best of the Christmas season!

I love the holidays. The kick off with Thanksgiving, the picking out of presents to give to family and friends. the food, the smells, the tree, the lights -- the magic!!! I especially love my time with my family.

Did I mention the food? It starts with Thanksgiving - the huge feast! Then comes the Christmas baking -- and all the joys that brings! Ooooh and then candy in the stocking, and the Christmas dinner. Last but not least -- not to be outdone -- New years eve - the finger foods, the fancy snacks and of course the booze! It is no wonder that people tend to gain over the holidays.

So, options here

1) Do what you have always done -- but expect those same results. Do not be blind to the fact that you cannot continue to make the same choices and expect different outcomes  (Lord knows this was my option of choice for many a year...we just didnt "count" the holidays!)


2) You can be self sacrificing -- stay away from all of those things. Now, if this option doesn't bother you or if you know that for you having any of the goodies at all is a slippery slope that leads to a 10 pound weight gain over the holidays...by all means pick this one.(I have done this one as well!)

3) You can enjoy the holidays with your friends and family without over feeding. Listen to your body -- really listen. If you are hungry eat to satisfaction, but don't gorge. If you know that you want a Christmas cookie or fudge or pumpkin pie -- plan for that but don't have the pumpkin pie after dinner and donuts and cocoa for breakfast and 2nd helpings at all meals...Do you see where I am going here? Enjoy without overindulging.  (this is the one I am picking this year!)

I only have one life and I know for me that I can not keep going down with that time off mentality. I also know that not only did not having any treats make me miserable but those around me as well because I was whiny and had the poor whoa is me mentality. This year, I will have a glass of wine with a friend, a cookie after dinner, the turkey with all the trimmings -- what I wont do is - make it an all day train wreck waiting for a place to happen. I wont eat the whole tray of cookies in one setting (not even in 2) I will indulge but I will not OVER indulge. I will feel good about the choices I make and enjoy my time with my family and friends while continuing our age old traditions.

I will be saying goodbye to the Holly Daze -- you know the one where you continue to blindly eat because omg dinner was so good you ate until you had to undo your pants button and then followed it by pie -- not just one slice but 3 because there were options...and options are a wonderful thing right? And then that is proceeded by the brain fog of having just way to much food in your stomach and your brain turns to a cloudy foggy place that just wants a nap somewhere --soooo not me this year...goodbye to that mindless eating and the daze that comes with. 

However you choose to celebrate and with whatever option you choose....Have a joyous holiday season from start to finish and a wonderful time with your family and friends!

4 comments:

  1. perfect attitude and strategy in my humble opinion. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moderation? What a foreign concept. That just might work. Lol. Well put sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moderation? What a foreign concept. That just might work. Lol. Well put sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not doing the cooking that I usually do. So will not be eating like usually eat. Which is good for avoiding weight gain. Great post as always. Merry Christmas, to Yours and you...

    ReplyDelete