Saturday, January 16, 2016

Goodbye Rubber Necking

I often find myself sitting on the interstate in what feels like a parking lot. Not knowing what lies ahead -- construction? a wreck? -- Truth be told it doesn't matter because either way the interstate has stopped moving and what should be 70mph has now become 0 - 10mph. It is frustrating, causes me anger (mostly at myself because I am usually running behind slightly or have deadlines) and what really angers me is when this happens because of a wreck on the other side of the interstate that has nothing really to do with us but people want to rubber neck to see what happened, causing slow downs and delays -- or an accident on our side.

Have you found that life seems to be like that? Not just on the interstate but in your own life...with your own goals? I have. Let me explain.

I have 3 children - and there is nothing that a mother doesn't want to do for her children. When they hurt, I hurt. I have mentioned in the past that I am an emotional eater. Sooo the wreck on the other side of the interstate (or house in this case) has caused me to slow down or stop my progress because I have stopped to rubber neck (comfort my child, commiserate, etc). While I am not saying this is a bad thing -- What I am saying is - stop letting random excuses get in the way of progress. I have let their things derail me and cause my own accident.

Quote - What you do to get in your own way is more powerful than any obstacle that others can place in your path - Gay Hendricks

My children didn't put this road block in front of me, I did this to myself. The people in my lane rubbernecking didn't have lights and sirens on our side of the street - they did this slow down and delay themselves.

I have to have ways to handle this or allow myself to forever be caught looking back and wondering what the heck just happened here? How did I just eat a box of cookies, I wasn't even paying attention! I don't want that anymore - I can NOT allow other peoples problems (or my own...because that's a whole different type of accident waiting for a place to happen)  to cause me to crash and burn. Stop rubber necking! By all means be there for your child - but eating your own emotions is bad enough - don't eat theirs too! (Or smoke theirs, or drink theirs, or or or....insert your own demon/addiction here)

Say goodbye to rubber necking on the highways, in your personal life -- keep moving forward full speed a head instead of slowing down or coming to a stop when it is sooo not necessary. Good luck my friends!


3 comments:

  1. Reading your blog I am becoming more and more convinced that too much "calories-In" is an addition. Reaching out for only one more!! I will make this packet last a whole month!! I will only have one when I REALLY need to. Are we talking cookies or cigarettes? So, are there lessons to be learned from techniques that are used to combat other addictions? Sharing; being honest and admitting it; identifying trigger conditions and avoiding them.

    This person suggests first taking one to three months learning about your addiction and how to handle it, BEFORE even thinking about going on diet - http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-overcome-food-addiction/ That makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Pedro -- however, for someone addicted to food it goes a little bit deeper because with cigarettes while it is an addiction it is something you can live without -- with food, it is what your body NEEDS for fuel - so unlike an alcoholic or drug addict or cigarette smoker - we cannot completely get rid of our addiction and are always confronted with it. If you were an alcoholic you could stay away from people that drank, not go to the bar, etc etc -- with food, its always going to be here, and while yes I don't eat gluten and try (some days harder than others) to stay away from the sweet temptation of sugar - someone is always going to have cookies, donuts, etc etc around to tempt me with. All addictions are hard to overcome...period - but I feel that food addiction offers it's very own set of challenges just because it is necessary to survive and also because there is sooo much conflicting information out there -- eat eggs, don't eat eggs, eat just the whites -- no wait you can have the yolk too -- best approach - do just wants right for you and listen to your body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Yet cigarettes are singular, but there are foods .... and then there is sugar. I have another friend who is fighting her sugar addiction. She posted this link:

      http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/01/14/how-to-completely-detox-from-sugar-in-10-days/

      Delete